Slump Cone Test Apparatus
Posted on April 18, 2019
- Slump cone with a base dia of 20 cm and height of 30 cm and top dia is 10 cm
- Tamping rod with a dia of 16 mm and a length of 60 cm
- Before starting with the test, the mould’s internal should be cleaned thoroughly and unnecessary moisture should be removed.
- Now, place the mould on a horizontally levelled rigid and non-absorbent surface. It should be made to position firmly in its place at the time of filling by the operator on two-foot pieces given in the slump cone.
- Fill the mould with concrete in four layers. Each layer should be in height of one-quarter of the mould. Also, make sure to tamp down each layer with 25 strokes using the tamping rod pointed to its end in a uniform manner.
- After the top layer has gone through the tamping, the concrete should be removed if it is above the level and also any mortar that is leaking should also be struck off.
- Now, make sure to remove the mould immediately from the concrete by simply lifting it slowly and carefully in a direction, i.e. vertical.
- Always make use of hand gloves and the shoes while during the process of testing.
- The equipment in which the testing is to be conducted should be cleaned properly pre and post the testing.
- It is vital to avoid the apparatus from any vibration during the duration of the test
- Consider applying petroleum jelly to the mould before the test for better results.
Written by:- Concretefor